Members of Maine unions are a diverse lot. You come from different geographic locations. You work in a vast array of occupations, work hard to earn your paycheck and you’re good at what you do. YOU are the Maine AFL-CIO!
To celebrate the working men and women of Maine’s unions, we would like to hold a first annual photography contest, so we can collect and publicize images of the great work you do.
Enter the 2014 Maine AFL-CIO Photography Contest today!
Photos entered in this year’s contest will be featured in our upcoming publications. First, Second, Third Place and Honorable mention photos will also be awarded prizes.
Winners will be announced and displayed at the 2014 COPE Convention in June of 2014.
So get out your camera, and go capture your fellow members at work. Your entry in the Maine AFL-CIO Photography Contest will help us tell the story of what our members do, which will help us grow the labor movement.
Maine AFL-CIO Photo Contest Rules
1. Each photograph must be the work of the person submitting the entry and that person must be a Maine AFL-CIO affiliated union member in Maine. The primary subject(s) of the photograph must also be a member(s).
2. Members may submit as many photos as they would like. Each photo should be accompanied by it’s own entry form.
3. Members must use the Entry Form to submit a brief caption and explanatory note of their submission. The Entry Form must be filled out completely. The information submitted will be used for the photo caption and photographer credit if the entry wins.
4. An official Contest Entry Form and Model Release & Authorization to Publish form should accompany the entry. These are included in the packet and can also be obtained from the Maine AFL-CIO by calling 622-9675 or by going online to: www.maineaflcio.org/photocontest
5. The photographer and photo subject(s) must sign the Model Release and Authorization to Publish form for the contest entry to be considered eligible. It is the photographer’s responsibility to secure the necessary releases from the identifiable persons shown in the photograph.
6. Entries may be submitted as film or digital photographs. Film photos must be un-matted and un-framed.
Digital photos should be taken with the camera set on a high resolution setting if possible. Digital photos should be in the .jpg format and may not be enhanced by computer software. Digital photos can be submitted by email or on a CD by mail.
7. The theme of the contest is “Maine Union Members at Work.” Photos should be unposed and should depict Maine union members doing their jobs. Members at work should be wearing all appropriate safety gear and following proper safety procedures. Entries will be evaluated based on appeal, content and photographic skill. The decision of the judges is final.
8. Photos of members doing union-related activities, such as a community service project, or political action, are acceptable.
9. While utmost care in handling will be given all entries, the Maine AFL-CIO cannot assume responsibility for damage or loss of entries in transit and assumes no responsibility for submissions.
10. Contest entrants agree that the Maine AFL-CIO has the right to use, without further compensation, their photographs for Maine AFL-CIO literature, both print and electronic, to further the cause of trade unionism. Photos will not be returned and will remain the property of the Maine AFL-CIO.
11. An independent panel of union photojournalist judges will select 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners. Judges will award prizes for the top three photographs.
13. All pictures will be judged anonymously. Pictures and Entry Forms will be numbered upon receipt.
14. The deadline for contest entries is June 2, 2014. Winners will be announced at the June 2014 Maine AFL-CIO COPE Convention. All entries will be featured in a slideshow for delegates at the convention.
16. The submission of any entry will be understood to imply agreement on the part of the photographer to all the above conditions.
17. Entries should be submitted to email@example.com or: Maine AFL-CIO Photo Contest, 21 Gabriel Drive, Augusta, Maine 04330